Daniel Klag - 'Weird Fiction' LP - 2011 Amdiscs (AMD004/AMDD064)


Daniel Klag (New Jersey/based in NYC) 'Weird Fiction' LP came out in June on AMDISCS as a limited-edition 180-gram 2-color vinyl LP. Buy it here «‘Weird Fiction’ is his most comprehensive work to date» and I personaly agree, for me this album reminds me the Reykjavik's (Iceland) lava landscapes, 'Weird Fiction' also displays a rich palette of colors and organic textures. Very Pleasing, well done Sir!

Daniel Klag - 'Weird Fiction' LP - 2011 (AMD004/AMDD064) by AMDISCS

Check also Daniel Klag interview:
M.U. - How do you define yourself and your music?
My music is in the ambient/experimental/electronic realm. I use a lot of mathematics in my day job (I studied mathematics in school and previously taught it for 4 years). I find the mathematical thinking I use at work is often similar to the thinking that goes into my musical process.
M.U. - Since when you have been producing music? / Have You always been interested in electronic/ambient?
I played in bands in high school and college (I played bass), but I didn't start producing music on my own until 2006, when I was a senior in college. I enjoy the freedom of being able to work on music on my own, without having to collaborate with others. My earliest demos were heavy with synthesizers and drum machines; at the time I was trying my best to sound like Suicide. Over time, I found that I was enjoying my recordings much more with the drum and vocal tracks muted, which led me to start producing more ambient synthesizer sounds. Over the past 5 years I have transitioned from working with mostly synths to primarily using digitally processed guitar samples.
M.U. - What does inspire you most in music making? People? Smells? Images? Noises?
Much of my inspiration comes from books that I read. "Weird Fiction" was mostly inspired by the strange tales of authors like HP Lovecraft, Lord Dunsany, and Algernon Blackwood.... stuff that I was reading heavily last November when I began the recording process.
I am also, of course, inspired by musical influences: Black Sea by Fennesz, Harmony in Ultraviolet by Tim Hecker, Ambient 4 by Brian Eno, Playthroughs by Keith Fullerton Whitman, as well as the unconventional guitar tunings utilized by such artists as Rhys Chatham, Glenn Branca, and Sonic Youth.
M.U. - I’ve read you are based in NYC, are you from there or from other city/state/country?
I have been living in NYC for the past 5 years, though I grew up in nearby suburban New Jersey.
M.U. - Is “Weird Fiction” your first edit on a record label?
I did a 3 inch CD release for La Station Radar in 2010, you can check it out here:


http://www.last.fm/music/Daniel+Klag/_/Leaflet .
"Weird Fiction" is my first full-length album, and my first vinyl release. I am very happy to be a part of the AMDISCS family. They have been truly supportive of me from the beginning.

Comments

Popular Posts