BLACK TO COMM - A C Of M (Cellule 75)


BLACK TO COMM  - A C Of M (Cellule 75) * Edition of 100 * “The first two weeks of lockdown I was sitting in my kitchen paralyzed just like everyone else, following the news anxiously. When boredom and anxiety set in and to keep myself sane I started to record audio off my Twitter feed; people playing their instruments at home (in *their* kitchens), anti-vaxxer car demos, people shouting & swearing at each other in streets & supermarkets. I made little sketches, loops, and songs from these samples combined with some of my own home and field recordings. “A C of M” compiles a selection of these tracks, including reworks of older recordings, unauthorized remixes, abandoned drafts. I’m not sure if it’s an album or a mixtape or something else and it does not matter much. Twitter (as terrible as it can be) became my main link to the outside world in this weird period so it felt consequential to incorporate it into my work practice for the time being.”
The music on this cassette album is schizophrenic at best and weirdly mirrors the situation it was created in. From pure melancholy to the unbearably happy, absurd, flowery; then deeply depressed and achingly beautiful; from potential failures to small triumphs and everything in-between. Tracks were cranked out quickly and without the excessive refinement Richter’s albums are known for - sometimes it works in favor of the music and creates a newfound playfulness and weightlessness, sometimes you may wish a skeletal song would become a full-throttle Black To Comm epic in the future. Recommended!

Comments

Popular Posts