M.U. PODCAST #140: ANDY KLINGENSMITH (OCTOBER 2022)

Cover Art by Bruno Lopes (Mundo Urbano). Charles Eames (American, 1907-1978). DCM (Dining Chair Metal), Designed in 1946. Birch plywood, metal.

My name is Andy Klingensmith (b. 1994). I am a multi-disciplinary artist currently living and breathing in Chicago, Illinois. My sound work has been released on cassette by Skupina (CZ), Invisible City Records (UK), Amateur Electronics (USA), and Small Worm (UK). I was also lucky enough to put out a release recently on a 7″ lathe cut by Full Spectrum Records (USA). My music has also been featured on such netlabels as Absent Erratum (Netherlands), The Sketchbook Sounds (Russia), and Mississippi’s Warm Milk Recordings. I currently live in Irving Park with my partner Vanessa Valadez, a multimedia artist, whom I love very much. Together we run Empty Bliss, a DIY art space in Avondale that caters to extreme music acts. I am one half of the sound art duo Field Dept., a collaboration with my friend Estlin Usher. I recently launched a small-batch tape and CD-R label called Modern Concern.

For this mix, I started with a list of some of my favorite ambient tracks and used their palettes to inform a selection of dance cuts from genres indebted to similar headspaces such as ambient techno, microhouse, and drum and bass. In doing so I hoped to give the listener long introspective stretches which complimented and also contrasted more reactive moments where rhythm and repetition took centerstage. Between this all I wove some field recordings and tape music to allow some aesthetic and sonic considerations. Ultimately, I wanted to share some songs that have meant a lot to me over the years and deliver a sentimental mix that is both physically and emotionally engaging. A portrait of a night we may only dream about, a life we may never live, but a dance we feel all the same.

01. "I Didn’t Talk To Anyone Again Today [Remix]" - Andy Klingensmith (2020)
02. "1000 Miles (Ft. Sub Focus)" - Machinedrum (2020)
03. "Speichen" - Ursula Bogner (1968)
04. "Untitled 7" - Dettinger (1999)
05. "Untitled" - Andy Klingensmith (2022)
06. "snow/sand" - Taylor Deupree (2002)
07. "Jackpot" - Speedy J (1993)
08. "Tender Hooks" - Plaid (2011)
09. "Blossoms in Rain [Field Remix]" - Donnacha Costello (2016)
10. "Present Worth" - MARV (2021)
11. "Team Follow [18 Carat Affair Re-Freak]" - Mirror Kisses (2016)
12. "Wet Land [Field Remix]" - Hiroshi Yoshimura (1993)
13. "Over the Ice" - The Field (2007)
14. "She’s American [Remix]" - Andy Klingensmith (2020)

Comments

Popular Posts