M.U. PODCAST #130: SOHN JAMAL (JULY 2022)

Cover Art by Bruno Lopes (Mundo Urbano), picture taken from Albert G. Richards. Michigan botanist book. January 1963."

«My name is John Small, and I record music as Sohn Jamal. I’ve been a musician since I was ten years old. I grew up in Japan playing guitar in bars around central Tokyo, but when I was 15, I started taking an interest in electronic music, making mostly boom-bap/ambient music. I started seriously making beats when I was 18 and relocated to Miami for my Jazz Studies program at the Frost School of Music. Since relocating to Florida, I’ve been active in several different bands and projects in the underground electronic scene (my other band, Butterfly Snapple just played at III Points this year) with no signs of slowing down. I compose music through sampling but in untraditional ways. I hold sessions in my living room with different Miami artists and use that as a sample source. I’m heavily influenced by Brainfeeder’s Teebs’ method of pushing acoustic instruments and vocals through machines to create abstract and angular yet accessible beats. I primarily use Ableton Live, but I also have a wide variety of analog and digital samplers». via voyagemia

"Scroo Amethyst" (released January 21, 2022, on Schematic Music Company), is girded with ephemeral melodies, and fortified with pugilistic beats, this new release obsessively looks into a mangled reflection of a former self cloaked in a haze of memory and mirrored realities.

M.U. PODCAST #130: SOHN JAMAL (JULY 2022)

01. Fumio Miyashita - The Rebirth (Personal Affair)
02. Daisuke Hinata - How Do You Do? (Face International)
03. Ted Greenwald and Scott Hiltzik - Chorale (Windham Hill)
04. Coral Club - Lifeforms (Not Not Fun)
05. Marja Ahti - In Ictu Oculi (Students of Decay)
06. Yas-Kaz - Relation Between Bisons, Bananas, and Rods (Canyon)
07. Yoshiaki Ochi - Urban Kogili (Newsic)
08. Masahiro Sugaya - Sense of Noise (sweet boon)
09. Toshifumi Hinata - Colored Air (Alfa)
10. G.B. Beckers - Herzschlag (Music From Memory)
11. Hugh Small and Brian Allen Simon - Palace (Melody As Truth)
12. ?????????? - Sohn Jamal (Unreleased)
13. Phobode - Cyclical Time (Merck)
14. Move D - Trist (ava.)
15. Kidkanevil - Shrine Island 3 (Studio Gsan)
16. Yuka Tsujiyoko - Boggly Woods (Nintendo)

About the mix: "I wanted this mix to capture a lot of sounds that I’ve been finding comfort in recently. These sounds are primarily informed and/or inspired by new age, gamelan, video game OSTS, glitch, and more - Sohn.

Comments

Popular Posts